This isn’t a recipe for home made “Kahlua.” It doesn’t taste anything like Kahlua. This is stronger and more potent in every way. I use it for drinks. I do not sip it. I do not add it to my cup of coffee. I make drinks with it; Strong, kickass drinks.
Here’s how it goes.
- 1 Cup whisky (Use your favorite. You’ll taste the difference.)
- 1 Cup vodka (Same thing about the favorite.)
- 3/4 Cup coarse ground Clutch Sumatra Coffee
- Mix it all together in a canning jar, screw the lid on tight, and let it set on the kitchen counter for 4 days. Shake it once a day.
- Strain the contents into a second jar. Use a strainer for some sediment in the finished product (adds to the “authenticity”) or strain it two or three times through cheesecloth for a cleaner liquer.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add 1/2 cup sugar
- Mix well to dissolve the sugar and then refrigerate.
That’s it. Taste it straight and you’ll notice it has a kick, and not just from the alcohol–The coffee flavor is strong. From here you can add sugar if you want it sweeter and/or dilute it with water if you don’t want it as boozy and coffee-y.
What do I do with it? Well, I’m glad you asked! It’s the holiday season and I’m all about the spiked eggnog, so I add it to eggnog for a spiked eggnog latte cocktail. It is yum-tastic!
It also adds a nice twist to an Old Fashioned and makes a welcome alternative to the standard Kahlua-based White Russian.
Experiment and have fun! Then drop us a note and tell us what you came up with!